12.31.15

Posted on: December 31st, 2015 by jmbroekman 7 Comments
last-sunflowers-forblog

The end of another year

Today marks not only the last day of 2015, but 11 years since my mother died. Last night, in her honor, and to celebrate the coming new year and finishing the 120 days (more on that in a minute), I made her famous chocolate mousse. Famous because, when I was growing up, legend has it, she could never make a batch big enough. If Dad was bringing home the crew (Joy, Gil, and Humphrey), and my mom made enough for 8 they finished it; if she made enough for 12 they finished it. Never a drop left. Famous too, because at her funeral, my sister lamented that she never got the recipe. Little did she know, I already had it. And now, it has also been safely passed into the hands of my friends Shirley and David, for whom I’ve been making it on Swan’s Island every summer for the last 4 to celebrate their wedding anniversary. I’m glad there are ways to pass traditions around.

So, the chocolate mousse is chilling, soon the lentils will be simmering (you have to eat lentils on New Years Eve for prosperity – in case you were wondering), and for the first time in 121 days I did not make a drawing (yet). Yesterday was the last day in my self-imposed 120 days/120 drawings challenge. And a challenge it was. I am still trying to figure out what I learned other than that even after 4 months of daily practice, I can still get tripped up by the same old objects and mental road blocks. I think the most interesting part may be to see what comes next. Some more good work, I hope.

Here’s hoping you and yours will experience a sense of well-being, good health, and plenty of laughter in 2016!

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses

1. David McGowan says:

Jessyca,
    Traditions are important, as you know, and I’m so glad we can be together to have our summer tradition with you and Al which also includes your Mother’s signature dish.

Be well and Happy New Year.
    David

• jmbroekman says:

Thanks, David. I look forward to lots more good food, and times together in the year ahead. You too, be well, and Happy New Year!

2. Shirley says:

I imagine one of the things you have learned once again is that discipline is itself a muse. And it is true there is never enough of your mother’s mousse. Our anniversary becomes a celebration as soon as you pull out the ingredients to begin making it.

I love the painting connected to this post. It is beautiful.
    Shirley

• jmbroekman says:

Thanks, Shirley. I actually had something in a draft version of this post about being reminded of that well honed skill I have for discipline – sometimes referred to as my stubborn nature! If nothing else, I am really good at the stick-to-it habit I have developed over the years. At least when it comes to some things. Maybe not so much if it involves not eating chocolate!

3. Giovanna says:

Cara Jessyca, quando avrò il,piacere e l’onore di gustare la tua mousse al cioccolato? Tanti auguri per un sereno e ‘ cioccolatoso’ 2016

• jmbroekman says:

Cara Giovanna, quando vieni a trovarci?! A quel punto sarebbe il mio piacere e l’onore di fare una per te. Altre tanto, gli auguri per un bel 2016.

4. Janet Lee says:

How did I miss this post? What a lovely painting – such a layered story of color and emotion when I look at it. OK so I too would love your mother’s chocolate mousse recipe – I would like to carry on the tradition!